Independent Study (I.S.)

If you know your child has a planned absence, for two days or more, you need to arrange for them to go on short-term Independent Study for the duration of their absence.   You can also set up I.S. when they will be out sick for several days but are well enough to do some work at home.

This will ensure that your child’s absences are considered “excused” and help them keep up with their school work. It also allows the school to recoup state funding for their absence.

Process for Independent Study

The Independent Study (I.S.) process must be carefully documented for the school to receive funding for your child’s attendance. All Independent Study business is handled through the front office.

To sign your child up for Independent Study you must first initiate the process by filling out the Independent Study Master Agreement. If enough notice is given, your classroom teacher will compile a work packet relevant to the student’s current class work. If not enough notice is given, the front office can provide you with an emergency packet, relevant to their grade level.  

Your child will need to complete their Independent Study Packet and you will be scheduled an appointment to submit the completed work.

For further questions – please see the front desk staff or email