We are currently looking for volunteers to join our Charter Council.
Blue Oak School is governed by a 7 member board, called the Charter Council. There are 3 parent representatives & 4 community members. The Charter Council’s primary responsibility is one of oversight; ensuring that our school’s operation is faithful to the terms of our School Charter; legally compliant, fiscally viable and ethical. All stakeholder groups (Administration, Faculty, and Parents) in our community, report to the board in an advisory capacity.
Our Election in May 2018 was successful in electing 4 new members to the Charter Council.
We are still accepting applications from Community Members and will continue to do so until two more community seats are filled. These remaining seats will be filled by board appointment and will be limited to 1-year terms; to begin this August.
To qualify for a Community seat, you may not have a child, stepchild, or child of a partner/significant other who is enrolled at Blue Oak School. Grandparents can serve as a Community board member.
To qualify for a Parent seat, you need to be the parent or legal guardian of a child currently enrolled at Blue Oak School.
– Attending monthly meetings, currently held on every third Monday of each month at 6 pm
– Attend occasional special session meetings as needed
– Review supplemental materials before each meeting
– Become familiar with our School Charter, Charter Council By-laws and school policies
– Attend a School Tour as soon as possible (you may do this before you apply as well)
– Contribute to committee work and leadership, in collaboration with all stakeholders
– Become familiar with the Brown Act, Robert’s’ Rules of Order, the board’s Code of Ethics, and attend scheduled board training
Primary Work of the Charter Council
– Fiscal Oversight
– Ensuring that the school’s academic programs are successful
– Evaluation of the Executive Director and approving the hiring and termination of staff
– Creating, serving on, and appointing members to necessary committees
– Adopting policies that further clarify and assist in maintaining the Blue Oak mission and educational programs
Application: Charter Council Application 2018