We are looking for volunteers to join our Charter Council.
Blue Oak School is governed by a 7 member board, called the Charter Council. There are 3 parent representatives & 4 community members. The Charter Council’s primary responsibility is one of oversight; ensuring that our school’s operation is faithful to the terms of our School Charter; legally compliant, fiscally viable and ethical. All stakeholder groups (Administration, Faculty and Parents) in our community, report to the board in an advisory capacity.
To qualify for a Community seat, you may not have a child, stepchild, or child of a partner/significant other who is enrolled at Blue Oak School. Grandparents can serve as a Community board member.
To qualify for a Parent seat, you need to be the parent or legal guardian of a child currently enrolled at Blue Oak School.
> Voting will take place the week of May 21st, 2018. Ballots will be counted at ~ 3:45 pm on May 25th. The results will be communicated the following week. Should you be elected, your term will begin at the regular board meeting in August 2018. Terms will vary from 1 to 2 years.
> APPLICATIONS DUE BY MAY 7th
– Attending monthly meetings, currently held on every third Monday of each month at 6 pm
– Attend occasional special session meetings as needed
– Review supplemental materials before each meeting
– Become familiar with our School Charter, Charter Council By-laws and school policies
– Attend a School Tour as soon as possible (you may do this before you apply as well)
– Contribute to committee work and leadership, in collaboration with all stakeholders
– Become familiar with the Brown Act, Robert’s’ Rules of Order, the board’s Code of Ethics, and attend scheduled board training
Primary Work of the Charter Council
– Fiscal Oversight
– Ensuring that the school’s academic programs are successful
– Evaluation of the Executive Director and approving the hiring and termination of staff
– Creating, serving on, and appointing members to necessary committees
– Adopting policies that further clarify and assist in maintaining the Blue Oak mission and educational programs
Application: Charter Council Application 2018